<iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/MX-OBatyxYw?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wood or a Plastic Container for Gardening?
Wood or plastic materials are the top contenders for container gardening. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Why should I choose a food-grade plastic garden container over a wooden one? Let me count the ways…
The most important reasons are:
1. Plastic is many times lighter than wood so with less weight it is easier to move and less likely to be top heavy and tip over. i.e. The weight of the plastic growing box of the Garden on Wheelz is 11 lbs as compared with 20-30 lbs for one of the same size in wood.
2. Plastic is strong and thin, not as bulky as wood, so it looks cleaner, sleeker and doesn’t take up as much space and is much easier to move, especially if the container is on wheels. Such as the plastic container garden that is part of the new and innovative product called, the Garden on Wheelz by LifeCycle Gardens, which recently received it’s first US patent.
3. Plastic is weather resistant, low to no maintenance, so it will look new for years. Wood will look weathered by the end of the first growing season.
4. Plastic seals better than wood so it won’t leak like wooden seams will and turn the container black, green and dirty brown.
5. Plastic containers for gardening don’t need liners or preservatives like wood to prevent them from rotting.
6. Plastic can be manufactured with a drain that is reinforced for strength and captures run-off cleanly and easily, instead of drilled holes in the wood bottom that will make the wooden container rot faster.
7. Plastic container gardening retains moisture better so you won’t need to water as much. It will also not soak up moisture like wood does, which takes away from the water in the soil. It also makes the wooden contain garden become heavier and cause it to rot faster.
8. Plastic containers come in a large variety of colors, sizes and designs.
9. Buy only plastic containers made of UV-resistant, BPA & PVC free, food grade plastic; like the Garden on Wheelz by LifeCycle Gardens.
The best all around plastic container gardening product is the Garden on Wheelz by LifeCycle Garens! Check out www.lifecyclegardens.com to see their all-in-one mobile plastic gardening container that will be sure to make your raised-bed gardening is stylish, sustainable, and rewarding/fun.
P.S. If you gained value from this post, please comment, Like and Share this post so that your friends can get in on the conversation as well.